I've got a big 'ole quilty finish. Wanna see?
This is the inaugural quilt for the Cheer circle of the do. Good Stitches quilting bee. I'm the host and was the first quilter for our circle. We're donating to Project Linus.
This beautiful block is from a tutorial on SewCraftyJess's blog. She calls it the X Marks the Spot block. My only modification from her tutorial was to have everyone add borders. That way, when the blocks were slightly different sizes, I could skim off of the borders instead of having to slice away at points or add borders myself to account for variations. You can find our border measurements here.
For the back, I just scrounged together some Kona solids yardage from my stash that I knew had been washed. I was a little nervous with all the blue and white. I used three color catchers when I washed this quilt, though, and that seemed to take care of any lingering dye. Many thanks to Jessica at Remnants and the Friends of Annie charity fabric stash for the binding fabric. Austinites making charity quilts can peruse the donated fabric for your goodwill quilting :-)
The quilting is pretty much just straight lines with a zig here and a zag there. I could have gotten it longarmed for free, but I needed to get it knocked out. I was down for doing some FMQ, but I couldn't find the thread I needed in my sewing space. (Time to clean again.) There was no time to waste. I needed to get started. I've got a queue building after all ;-)
Pre-wash dimensions: 103.5" x 67.5"
Post-wash dimensions: 100.25" x 65.5"
Batting: SewPerfect by Fairfield (Poly-Fil) Cotton Classic Batting. (100% unbleached organic cotton needlepunched with a 1/8" loft)
Front Fabric: Blue scraps from the stashes of Cheer do. Good Stitches circle stitchers and Kona White
Back Fabric: Kona solids
Binding: Scraps from Remnants' Friends of Annie charity fabric stash
Quilting: Done with my walking foot on the Bernina 1630.
I hope this twin-sized quilt will see a kiddo through recovery and onto many healthy years!